How to Build a Wall Frame? Know the DIY Steps Today
You want to add a new wall to your large room and make use of the unused space for a separate room, here we discuss how to build a wall frame? That’s a great idea and sounds fair to do so. Creating a wall frame is easy and one can do it on their own too if they have the skills and time to do it.
You have to just select the right location where you want to place the wall frame, gather the tools, and start the work. It is a task that requires some time, effort and proper attention so keep a perfect weekend day to get it done.
We will show you the steps on how to build a wall frame in this post so just keep reading and get the complete idea of it.
The first step is to plan the layout of the wall. Decide the location where you want to place the new wall along the floor, use chalk for this purpose and mark it on the floor at the exact location where you want to put the wall.
Then, you have to run a stud finder along with the ceiling for locating the joists.
If the joists are perpendicular to the wall then there is no need for an adjustment but if the joists are parallel to the new wall then you have to make the adjustment to the layout of the wall. This adjustment should be to place the wall directly under a joist.
Now, you have to arrange the plates. There will be two plates: one will be the sole plates for the flooring and the other will be the top plates for the ceiling. With a tape measure, you have to mark the locations of the plate on the ceiling.
If you are planning to have a door in the wall then you need to mark the location for the door as well.
Now, it’s time to layout the floor plates. For this, you have to drive a nail into the ceiling in one end where the point is marked. Now, you have to hang a plumb bob from the nail to the floor and mark that point. You have to do this for the other ceiling end as well so in the end there will be two marks on the floor.
Connect both the points with a chalk line and that will be the location where you have to lay the soleplate and this will be the base of your wall.
Know the location of the wall studs.
Now, you need to figure out the placement of the wall studs. The purpose of the wall studs is to provide strong support to the frame of the new wall.
- The first step is to set the plates, both top and floor plates side by side on the floor.
- Now, start from one end and measure and mark the plates every 16 inches.
- Now, you have to mark “X” at the end of each plate.
- Also, draw “X” to the right side of the line on each plate. This is for marking the location of studs.
Now, it’s time to calculate the length of the wall studs. The stud length can be determined by measuring the distance between the ceiling and the floor.
Now, you have to cut the studs for the new wall.
- For this, bring the safety goggles for using the circular saw.
- Now, you have to cut the studs to length with any kind of saw. You can use a hand saw or a circular saw.
- Now, you have to lay the bottom plate and the first stud on edge. Then you have to nail them together with nails.
Now, you need to complete the framing. Nail the wood studs to the soleplate.
First you have to nail the studs to the floor plates. Attach all the studs to the floor plates and then go for nailing the top plates with the studs.
Now, it’s the final step to place the new wall at the desired position. After so much effort and measurements, we are ready to lift the wall at the place where we want to have it.
If it is a small wall then you can lift it on your own and if it is a big wall then call someone to help you out as it will be heavy and you might not able to do it on your own. It is better to take someone’s help so that there is no damage to the wall while you are lifting it up.
- You have to align the floor plates with the chalk line that you have drawn on the floor.
- Now, carefully lift the wall and align the top plates with the chalk line that you drew on the ceiling.
- Now, you have to fasten the wall into place. You have to shim and plumb each section of the wall. For this, you have to connect the ceiling with the top frame with nails. You can do this with a hammer or nail gun.
- Similarly, you have to do this for the floor plates as well. Drive the nails from the floor plates to the flooring.
- Also, attach the end studs with the existing wall driving nails.
- After you are done with the wall framing, you can go for the drywall part.
So, here was an overview of how to frame a wall. Hope you got a clear idea on the steps and can do it on your own too. It is better to hire a professional to do the task for you as it needs expertise and it is not an easy task to deal with. You can sit back and relax when you hire a professional, he will come and do the job and your wall will be ready in no time.
And if you have the skills and are eager to do it on your own then that’s also fair and we have explained to you the steps and you can get the job done.
For more information, visit Innovativedecorideas.